Bachelor of English
- 3 years
Find out more or Apply Now !
Let’s maintain social distancing.
Talk to our counselors – online.
A degree in English is a specialised language academic discipline focusing on the study of linguistic and literature components (especially essays, novels, short stories, and poetry) as well as media communication. Students will develop a deeper understanding of the different aspects of English language study, including the English linguistics and sociolinguistics, including discourse analysis of written and spoken texts in the English language, grammar, the history of the English language, English language learning and teaching as well as the study of variations of English in the world.
A degree in English now encompasses a much broader range of topics which stretch over multiple disciplines.
Graduates of this programme will also be equipped with critical thinking skills that will empower them to understand the ever-changing media and form of communication and to function effectively in any professional setting where they need to clearly and persuasively express their ideas in writing and verbal communication.
To that end, the programme places particular importance on three core imperative skills: 1) analysing literature, a process which requires logic and reflective analysis; 2) creativity and imagination with regards to the production of good writing; and 3) an understanding of different cultures, civilisations, and literary styles.
Find out your qualification that matches to enter the programme.
A pass in STPM with a minimum grade of C (Grade Point of 2.00) in any TWO (2) subjects and credit in English at SPM level or any equivalent qualification.
A pass in A-Level with a minimum of Grade D in TWO (2) subjects and credit in English at SPM level or any equivalent qualification.
A Matriculation/Foundation qualification with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 out 4.00 or any equivalent qualification.
Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM)
A pass in Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM) with a minimum grade of Jayyid and credit in English at SPM level.
A pass in UEC with minimum of B grade in FIVE (5) subjects and credit in English at SPM level.
Any qualification equivalent to Diploma or Advanced Diploma (Level 4 or 5, MQF).
International Baccalaureate (IB)
A pass in International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with minimum score of 30 points.
Other equivalent qualifications recognised by MQA/Malaysian Government **
Executive Diploma UM
Diploma Kolej Vokasional (DVM) Pass in DVM in related fields AND Pass in Sijil Vocational Malaysia (SVM) with:
An Academic Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00 or higher,
A Vocational CGPA of 2.67 or higher and competent in all vocational modules;
A credit in Bahasa Melayu (SVM 1104)
** Cohort (2013 – 2016) onwards also needs to get an exemption from a pass grade for Sejarah at SPM level.
IELTS Band 5.5 or TOEFL 550 or a minimum of Grade B2 (162) in First Cambridge English (FCE) or MUET (Band 3) or other equivalent English qualification recognised by MON Malaysian Government.
**The validity period for TOEFL and IELTS is TWO (2) years from the date of the award.
Find out the programme structure and the fees & funding for this programme.
This programme requires a total of 120 credits to complete and is divided into parts as follows:
General Courses by MOHE
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia (TITAS)
- Hubungan. Etnik
- Malaysian Studies
- Thinking Skills / Bahasa Kebangsaan A
- Introduction to the Malaysian Constitution
- Melayu Komunikasi 2 (International)
- Co-curriculum (Professional
Event Management / Community
Engagement & Volunteering)
- Language and Teaching Methodology
- Teaching Writing Skills
- Teaching Listening and Speaking Skills
- Teaching Reading Skills
- Language Testing and Evaluation
- Language Teaching Technology
- Psychology of Education
- Philosophy, History, and Policy in Education
- Introduction to Literary Theory
- English Literature 1
- Malaysian Literature in English
- Greek Mythology
- English Literature 2
- Advanced Academic Writing
- Asian Literature in English
- Creative Writing 2
- Project Paper
Program Core Courses
- English Proficiency 1
- English Proficiency 2
- English Proficiency 3
- Introduction to Language and Linguistics
- Introduction to Literature in English 1
- Academic and Expository Writing
- Creative Writing 1
- English Syntax and Morphology (A)
- Introduction to Literature in English 2
- Academic and Professional Discourse
- Language and the Media
- English Phonetics and Phonology
- Language and Ideology
- Literacy and Second Language Acquisition Issues
- English Syntax and Morphology (B)
- Language and Power
- Cultural Diversity and English
- Professional Communication Skills
- English for Academic Purposes
- Volunteerism and Service Learning
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
*For enquiries on our programme fees, please contact our Marketing Department at 03 2730 7231 / 7053 / 7043 / 7184 / 7041 / 7046
Identify a great career opportunity
that is right for you.
- Digital Copywriter
- Editorial Assistant
- English as Second/Foreign Language Teacher/Instructor
- Magazine Journalist
- Newspaper Journalist
- Publishing Copy-Editor/Proofreader
- Web Content Manager
- Writer/Author/Content Curator
- Public Relations Specialist
- Social Media Manager
- Event Manager
You Might Be
Look for other programmes that you might be interested.